HUNTING SAFARI PREPARATION
When booking a safari with Cape Valley Safaris use the checklist below as a starting point. Please contact us if you have specific needs/questions on availability of items in South Africa.
Please note that payment can only be accepted by bank transfer or Cash (Bank Transfers are easy transactions with the least banking fees for both parties).
CLOTHING & PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Hunting or hiking boots – already broken in!
- Fanny pack or backpack to carry cameras & daily items you will use in the field.
- Comfortable camp or tennis shoes.
- Hunting shorts. We have daily laundry service. Camo is okay, as are dull colours such as khaki or olive. No bright colours or white for hunting!
- Long trousers . We have daily laundry service. Camo is okay, as are dull colours such as khaki or olive. No bright colours or white for hunting!
- Medium weight hunting jacket.
- Long sleeved hunting shirts.
- Short sleeve hunting shirts.
- Warm sweater.
- Hunting hat – I prefer baseball style but whatever is comfortable (same colours as above apply).
- Personal toiletries / shaving kit.
- Insect repellent – bugs are not a problem but a small can is good insurance.
- Lip balm – very important!
- Sun block.
- Dramamine – This is suggested if you are prone to car or air sickness.
- Small flashlight.
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS & FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Passport.
- Tickets & reservations – Read reservation instructions such as early confirmation times, check-in and departure times CAREFULLY!
- Cash and or credit card
- Rifle: I suggest .270 caliber or greater.
Please check with your airline on requirements for travelling with firearms!
- Binoculars – 1 pair for each person, not just hunters. Buy/borrow a good pair of at least 8X or 10X – not the tiny compact models.
- Gun cleaner – 1 can.
- Hard gun case that will lock, with your name and address on it.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS I RECOMMEND
- High quality digital camera. Bring extra cards – you can always use them at a later date.
- Spare batteries.
- Video camera with charger.
- Good supply of reading material in your carry-on baggage for the long flight here or for use in camp.
PERMITS & GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS
Please find all documentation under downloads.
(Adobe Reader required - download)